Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spanking is Abuse

How many times have I heard parents say that they were spanked and turned out fine? Really? That is your excuse? You were spanked. You will spank. I don't call that success.

I was spanked as a child. I did turn out fine. I don't spank. Ever. It should never, ever be in a parent's mind to harm their child to prove a point. I don't care if it is a little smack or a big one, it is child abuse.

You cannot hit a child for hitting his brother and then assume he will learn a lesson. What did he learn? That mama can hit and he can't, therefore, he must grow up before he is allowed to do such things. Good job on that lesson.

Some parents justify it by saying their child doesn't respond to anything else. I suspect these parents have not tried talking to their child civilly. A child with a good idea of what is going on will tend to behave much better.  In my experience, spankings only cause children to act out more.

Stop hitting your child and calling it discipline. Call it what it is, abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave some opinions of your own.